Jake was baptized today. He was supposed to be baptized on August 6th. Mike had a scout backpacking trip that had been on the calendar for 2 years. Jake has been on the calendar for 8 but whose counting? We were going to move it to the first Saturday in September, but that was Labor Day and Grandpa & Grandma Ballard would be out of town. You can't get baptized without either set of grandparents so we received special permission for Jake to be baptized on August 27th. It was extra exciting because the Dave Ballard Family just moved here, Karen and Lilly are here on vacation & Angela flew in with Jack for the occasion.
Jake and I started the day off right with a sharp haircut & a shave. Ron the Barber thought that it would be good to get a shave for the big day. Jake thought so too. He was really tickled with the aftershave & the Tootsie Rolls. Then Jake and I did a little shopping. We picked out a new tie, got him some nice scriptures with his name printed on them and an icecream cone.
We spent the rest of the afternoon getting ready and preparing for the dinner afterwards. Mike and Jake took Luly and went to the church at 4:30. I finished Gracie's hair and we were just a few minutes late.
The program was fantastic. Jack gave a fantastic talk on baptism. He shared some great personal example. Then Jake was baptized by Mike. Just after Jake came out of the water CJ hollered out, "Good job Jake!". While we waited for Mike & Jake to change we shared testimonies. Grandma Gloria, Ethan, Maddie, Grandpa Richard & I bore our testimonies. I wish I would have thought that through a little better, because it would have been nice if Jake had been there to hear them. Steve gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. He related having the Gift of the Holy Ghost to Star Wars and using the force, becoming a Jedi & fighting for good. Jake & Jack both loved the analogy. After Steve's talk Mike confirmed Jake & gave him a beautiful blessing. The Spirit was so strong.
I felt bad that all of the men that came to support Jake couldn't be in the circle. The bishop had asked Mike to limit the number. I guess you can't feel too bad when Jake is lucky enough to have so many strong examples in the priesthood.
After the baptism and confirmation we had everyone over for dinner. Mike and Jake did a lovely job setting up the backyard. We had hotdogs on the grill, chips, Farr's slush, yummy salads and fresh vegetables. We enjoyed Fat Boys for dessert. Everything went so smoothly and it was wonderful to visit and enjoy the company.
To Jake:
Because you were changing, I did not have a chance to share my testimony with you. I want you to know what a blessing it is to have the Holy Ghost in your life. I am so grateful you chose to be baptized. This life is tricky and like a Jedi, you need the force to help you be strong. The Gift of the Holy Ghost is a tool that will give you strength to make good choices. Before Daddy & I were even married I knew that we would have a son. I wanted so badly for our son to know of my testimony of missionary work, that I served my own mission. That night after you were hit by the car, I had a witness that you had been saved to serve a mission. You are a blessed boy to be alive and well. You were not eight and did not have the Spirit as a constant companion, but I know you felt that witness. I know you knew, even if your mind could not comprehend all that this entails, your heart knew I was speaking the truth. Jake being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is a wonderful thing and it is your obligation to stay worthy of His blessings. Like Jack shared in his talk, if you are worthy, people will see that you carry the light of Christ and know that you are His witness. Jake be strong and do not negotiate your privilege to serve a mission. Find and strengthen your testimony that you might share it with others so they too can enjoy all that our Heavenly Father has to offer. I am honored to be your mother & lucky to have the privilege of experiencing the love that God has for you. Many have referred to you as an "old soul" and I believe your spirit is old, wise and strong. Heavenly Father sent you to teach me. Thank you for coming and allowing me to share in your spirit and see the faith your Heavenly Father has in you. I hope and pray that I can be the kind of mother you deserve. Son, I am proud of you. You are a good boy with a pure heart & I am so glad Heavenly Father sent you to our family.
Jake's Thoughts on Being Baptized
It was fun to go get a new shirt for being baptized. I liked trying on the pants at the church. The pants were too long. The water was cold. At first when I dipped my toe in it was warm on my toe but then when I got my whole foot in it was cold. My clothes started pressing on me when I got in the water. It felt cool.
It is pretty obvious who baptized me. Dad.
-Are you trying to interview me?-
It was a little to cold. I was nervous about making wrong choices after being baptized. I felt different a little. I felt good. I felt like I looked good when I came out after changing. When they confirmed me I felt kinda new and like I was a member of the church. It was kinda funny when I had to shake everyones hand.
The best part of the day was being baptized. I liked having the party. I felt like you and dad cared about me when you spent so much time getting ready for the party.
I really did feel like you loved me a lot because of how much time you spent on my baptism party.
-Am I done here?-
AS A DISCLOSURE I WAS ASKING QUESTIONS TO GET HIM TO GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION. I DID NOT HOWEVER, DO ANY QUESTIONING ABOUT THE BAPTISM PARTY OR IF HE APPRECIATED IT. HE MAY HAVE JUST BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT OF FURTHER QUESTIONING WITH FLATTERY, BUT I AM GOING TO KEEP THINKING HE REALLY DID APPRECIATE IT:)
9 comments:
Great post, wonderful testimony, and wow. . . you are fast these days.
And fabulous dinner as well. You really do have the most pleasant back yard.
I'm so glad the day went smoothly for you. I love your testimony! You are such a great mom. Way to go Jake!!
It was wonderful for Dad and I to read your testimony and share a little of Jakes Baptism. It was wonderful. I too am happy it all went well. Love Mom and Dad in Africa
Jake i'm so proud of you! Your such a sweet boy and I'm sure you will do amazing things. You'll be such a good example to my little Trig. We love you Jake!
i am teary. what a wonderful day. it was so sweet to partake with you, thank you!
I can't believe Jake's 8! I loved reading your testimony. You are such a good Mom!
Congrats Jake! So proud of you! Loved your testimony Angela and Jake's "interview"- they are both priceless:)
Hey, the above comment that says it was Candace was me. My sister used my computer last and apparently wasn't signed out of her google account:)
Post a Comment