What is Gretchen's Problem?

That is a funny title, cause it has 2 meanings:) Today was awful. Gretchen sobbed & negotiated with everyone she thought could help her. We both cried. The radiologist even had to leave the room a couple of times.
I WILL NOT MAKE HE HAVE ANOTHER ONE OF THESE TESTS.
They ended up stopping the test before her bladder even emptied all of the way. I took her to breakfast & then to a movie. The test cost a lot, but then the negotiating isn't cheap either. After, we had to take a nap. In the future, this post will help me explain to Gretchen why she is so suspicious of doctors, nurses & hospitals.

A renal ultrasound examination may also be obtained to rule out obstructive uropathy in children. An ultrasound examination can detect gross renal scarring or marked asymmetry of renal size in patients with vesicoureteral reflux. A DMSA renal scan is the best method for detecting renal scarring.

Two types of cystogram are available. A standard voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) is obtained by instilling radiopaque contrast medium into the bladder and imaging the bladder and renal fossae during filling and voiding (Figure 1). The severity of vesicoureteral reflux is graded on a scale of 1 to 5, depending on the degree of distention of the collecting system.

A nuclear cystogram can be obtained by instilling a radionuclide agent into the bladder and imaging with a gamma camera. Nuclear cystography is at least as sensitive for the detection of reflux as a standard VCUG and exposes the child to less radiation. However, grading of reflux is less precise, and associated bladder abnormalities cannot be detected with nuclear cystography. Therefore, a VCUG is preferred as the initial study in the evaluation of a child with a urinary tract infection. Nuclear cystography is used in follow-up of patients with vesicoureteral reflux who are on an observation protocol. Vesicoureteral reflux is present in one third of siblings of patients with reflux, and in two thirds of the children of patients with reflux. Nuclear cystography may be employed for screening these children as well.

7 comments:

Discovery Preschool said...

Poor girl. Is there anything we can do to help? You are a good mom and i hope the test helped to figure things out.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry! I thought about you guys today. Hopefully you will get some answers. Poor girl and poor mommy. :(

Unknown said...

that was brittany

emily ballard said...

I am so sorry. I should have checked your blog before I called. I feel bad- I knew the test was today, but didn't realize it was going to be so invasive. I guess you didn't either. Hope she isn't scarred. . . physically OR emotionally.

RobnsNest said...

Oh Angela I am so sorry! I do hope that you are both feeling better now. It is so crappy what we have to put our kids through sometimes...I miss you!

Randy and Malissa Johnson said...

I'm so sorry! You both deserve breakfast and a movie. She is such a tough girl!

The White's said...

Well How is she now? Did they find anything? Im very sorry for all of you.