I had been nauseous for a week. Lindsey had just had her baby, Quincy, and I wanted to see her. I wasn't sure if I had the flu and there was a ~slight~ possibility I might be pregnant.
I took a test and sure enough I am pregnant. I was shocked and overwhelmed, too sick to go see Lindsey and Quincy anyway.
Mike had just left for 4 days at Lake Powell. Earlier that day I had called him and asked what I was supposed to do if I had a flat tire. Then I called and told him I would be dead before he got home because I was so sick. Then I texted him and told him I was pregnant. It was a little like the boy who called wolf, so he didn't believe it. I texted once more "This is NOT A JOKE" and he called me immediately.
The kids were still up, it was after 9. I was hiding in the bathroom talking to Mike so the kids would not hear. I was shocked, Mike was shocked and we were both overwhelmed. Gretchen is going to be 8 before this baby comes. An 8 year gap. We have nothing. My only solace was that Mike would be on the lake
or in a car for 4 days with nothing more to think about than this. Too funny. I knew I would think of nothing else and it would be funny that he wouldn't have much to distract him from thinking of it either. Periodically I would text him funny things like: We need a new car, we have to find a babysitter, and what should we name it? He asked me if I was getting any vibes that it was a boy... yeah, no.
Mike told me not to tell anyone until we had gone to the doctor. I am not good with secrets. The next day when I went to see Quincy, I told Lindsey that I had an appointment with her doctor the following Wednesday. It took a min to process but then her reaction was priceless. She flipped back on her hospital bed and screamed. She laughed. Who can blame her? She said, "I laugh partly because I am so excited and then I laugh partly because I know what is coming!" Fair enough.
I made it until Tuesday before the doctor appointment and I had to tell everyone. I did most announcements by text and a few by email. They were all funny because no one believed me at first. I mean, who would?
I went to the doctor the next Wednesday. I was not as far along as I had hoped. The baby's due date is December 19th. That is Gracie's birthday.
When we got home, I put in the DVD from the doctors office. The kids wandered in one at a time and asked what I was watching. I didn't answer them and just let them talk it through. Jake said, "Is that a baby?" Gretchen thought it was her. Jake asked if it was Gracie when I said it wasn't Gretchen. Then they asked if it was Quincy. Finally I said, "No, it is our baby." And they started in with the "is it me? is it..."
I said this is "our baby" the one that hasn't come yet. It took a while for it to process. I told Jake I was making him a roommate (he has been requesting a roommate so he can get bunk beds). Gracie guess the due date was December 19th and was shocked to find out she was right. Jake said he was so happy he could cry and Gracie started texting her friends. Gretchen was the most excited. She jumped up and cheered "This is my first time doing this, having my own baby that I get to see at the hospital!!" She said it was the 2nd best day of her life. The first will be when the baby comes.
When I told my granny, we talked about how I would be 37 when this baby comes. She laughed and said that was nothing. She was 37 when she had Janetta and the people at church talked and laughed about that old lady having a baby. She said, "What they don't know is 6 years after that I had another" I love my granny, she is a strong and brave woman.
In Gracie's "Hacked" post she announced that we had picked the baby's name, but that might not be entirely true. We will wait to see what we are having first. But we have thrown around several names including Nick and Hazel. ...and for the record, we are not looking for opinions ;)
6 comments:
O wow I'm excited about this. I thought I knew what you had coming that day at the hospital but now my baby is two weeks old and I really know what you have coming...
-Lindsey
Ha ha ha, Lindsey s comment is funny your psst is awesome. In really excited and think it will be great, your kids week be able to learn and step in so much. Woot woot woot, now I'll be the one at the pool telling everyone hire cool I am because my kids are getting big and I can lay out! ! ! Week maybe not really leave then alone but ya know what I mean.
Congratulations! I texted Addie after I read Gracie's post just to see if if was real :) Hope everything goes well!
Congratulations Angela! I didn't believe Gracie's post at first, but wow that is so exciting! Yay!
i am truly excited for you and i am so glad we get to pretty much do this raising babies thing together again (although you might be a year too late :). having a baby with older children is a whole different world. you can really enjoy every minute and even get a nap once in a while. you can leave them all at home and get away when you need to. generally, you just seem to know what you are doing and really don't care as much when it is not working out the way you had thought. enjoy the pregnancy as much as possible and live it up, it might be your last.
let me know if i can do anything for you. my last pregnancy was the hardest, so i can only imagine how un-fun this is for you right now.
p.s. you know i would love to babysit for you if you need it. fisher could really use another little person around so this whole youngest child syndrome he will have won't go to his head!!!
I had missed this. Your blog no longer alerts me when you post so i'll check it more often. However I did get the word previously! We are very excited.
Post a Comment