Itchy, dry skin?


When we were, little our mom used to buy the Aveeno Oatmeal Bath. I remember after you bathed, the tub would be covered in a thick layer of thin dust because the oatmeal is ground into a fine powder. Oatmeal is very soothing to dry itchy skin and works for rashes and chicken pox. I learned this tip somewhere a long time ago, so I thought I would share it.

You take a clean knee-high or thin trouser sock and fill it with quick-oats. (I put the sock, inside out, over my hand and grab a big handful of quick oats. I hold tight while I pull the sock back over my hand. This keeps the oats in the toe of the sock.) Then I tie a slip-knot in the sock just above the oats.

You can drop this in the tub with you while you run the water and keep it in while you bathe. The more you kneed the sock the faster the oatmeal breaks down and creates the "milky" bath. It has the same effect as the Aveeno but it is cleaner & less expensive.

Clean up is easy, you can throw the whole thing away or turn it inside-out, drop the soggy oatmeal in the trash and wash the sock. I use a new one for every bath.

5 comments:

Fox said...

Great Visuals and Good info... I especially like the easy clean up. I'll give it a try.

emily ballard said...

If I don't want to bathe (or bath) with oatmeal, can I just hire Mike to install a humidifier?

The Ballard's said...

You could:)

Taryn said...

Awesome tip! I'm totally trying this-Laney has the dryest skin.

Rebecca said...

Sweet. Thanks for the tip!