Halloween 2010

This year Mike said that we could not buy costumes. He said the kids could wear plastic garbage sack capes and tape horns to their heads. (Something like that happened to him as a child, but I think I remember something about his mother being pregnant and sick or just had a new baby and a bad car accident) Either way, not acceptable by todays standards. I tried to be frugal. I took Gracie to the DI and we picked up this skirt, belt, shoes and shirt for $10. Granny Sharon helped me adjust them to fit. We used the length of the skirt that we trimmed off as the scarf for her hair. She wore my jewelry & the corset, came from some naugahyde that my mom had. Anyway, I was tickled with myself. Jake, his expectations were no more than a red ninja costume and some cool swords. $14 done. Gretchen, well she wanted to be some pink WalMart Barbi ditty, but I just couldn't do it. I talked her into a Halloween fairy, but in my heart I knew that wasn't it. It was cheap though. It was too big when we got it home so I started surfing the internet. I found this little Madeline costume and knew it was "IT". I had to have it. She has been having us call her Madeline for 2 months. She wanted to have her teacher call her that at school. I drew the line. Anyway, there was a bit of an Ebay battle and it turns out I lost. I lost the fight, but I won the costume. I paid way too much for it, but I had to have it. I wish everyone could have seen Gretchen/Madeline's face when I showed her the confirmation receipt. She was delighted. She said "Oh good mom, you printed that out for me?" Turns out, that is how you get things from the internet. You just print them out.
Every year, we take the kids down to my Grandparents. They don't get out much, but they love to see the kids. Here is a picture of them with all the "Hall" grandkids. I just love Granny's face. She was having a ball. We took about 400 pictures, and some were cuter of some than others, but this was my favorite of Grandma & Grandpa. This is what makes the visit worth all the work that it takes to get them all dressed up and in the same place at the same time. This is 15 of my mom's grandchildren. Nicole, Katie, MacKay & Collin were not there. We missed them.
So this little picture of Gretchen cracks me up. She said that to be Madeline, she would have to have short hair. If a girl needs her hair to be cut so she can feel the part, then I will accommodate.
That is my way of thinking. I have loved the new cut. She looks so grownup.
I love this picture of Gracie holding Josie. Look at her trying to get the feathers off her tongue. She told me she was allergic to chickens:)
This was my attempt at Holiday baking. I was pleased with the results.
FYI: that is not a bite out of the egg, it was a little hard to peel:)

**A side note: Today after 3 solid days of letting the kids eat all of the candy they wanted, I dumped the remainder into one bag and weighed it. There were 9.4 pound left. Ridiculous!!**

6 comments:

emily ballard said...

1. This made me chuckle. More than once.
2. I think it's actually spelled Naugahyde. I know this for various reasons.
3. You were right; the corset makes the costume.
4. Gretchen's costume was my favorite.
5. The picture of your grandma is priceless.
6. I think I have a picture of a young Gracie pulling the same exact face as she is with the chicken feathers in her mouth.
7. You make the best deviled eggs. And I bet that photo will show up on google images someday.

The Ballard's said...

Well, i really did see it spelled that way in several instances. The reason I said that I looked it up is because I didn't believe that was right. Thanks for the proper way:)

Braden and Annie said...

I think you did a great job with the costumes! Your kids always look so cute, and 'Madeline's' haircut is so cute, made her look just like her!

The White's said...

Your kids did and do look great. Very well done!! the food is killer and the eye balls I was going to make and WOW your are WAY better. Next year Im doing your idea.

Breanne said...

LOVE it all!! By the way if that is how you got things on the internet...I would have a lot of paper lying around at my house!

Megan said...

Love it. You are so creative. I can't believe you made the 2 costumes. And you let Gretchen cut her hair for the costume?! Just the other day I was thinking I needed to be a more laid back mom like you. You are my hero!