Look What I Can Do

A) Start & finish a project in one day
B) Do a grown-up thing and paint the picnic table on my own accord
C) ALLOW MY KIDS TO HELP...WITH PAINTING
D) Enjoy teaching & working with my kids

Who knew?


Today I decided that I was going to paint my picnic table. My mom and dad gave us this table in 2007, if not late 2006. Anyway, I remember scraping and painting the picnic table when I was little. My dad and Grandpa Hall made this table. I remember being taught how to do it and what was expected, but I don't remember anyone bossing me around while I did it. Maybe I was older. I thought that this was a job that I could do with my kids. Anyway, maybe teaching them what to do and leaving was the key. I didn't, I stayed around and micro-managed/helped/re-painted what they did. They had a good time except for when I was micro-managing/helping/ painting over what they did, & I was wore out, but proud, proud of us. Funny thing was I picked out a color that was going to be different enough, but same enough, that I could allow my kids to help:) While we painted the bottom, I was sure it was going to be amazing when it was done. Well, when it was done, it looked like one of my dad's picnic tables. Old, red and always painted. I thought it would be magical to look at with a new coat of paint. Turns out, the only magic was that I did it & I let my kids help. I sure am thankful for the things I was taught while growing up.

2 comments:

amity said...

i am completely impressed with the work you accomplished that day. you didn't post about the actual day which was a feat in and of itself without even including the actual painting of the table. you are awesome and the table looks great!!

Janetta said...

Boy can I relate to this memory. You could have plucked it right out of my head. Makes me miss Grandpa.