Amaryllis Number Two

Granny Sharon gave each family an Amaryllis for the holidays. The kids were supposed to take care of it and watch it grow. Ours didn't grow. It didn't turn green & for some strange reason, it was leaking red, as if it had been murdered. So I cut it up to perform an autopsy (if you will) but seeing as I know nothing of the anatomy of an Amaryllis, results were inconclusive. Gracie having a special interest in the Amaryllis (writing her name all around the pot) was devastated. Granny gave her another a few days later, but it wouldn't grow either. Finally we figured out that our house was too cold. We moved the plant over almost on top of a heat vent and it started to sprout. Finally in January it blossomed. It is quite lovely and I am glad we can successfully raise a flower.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Dani gave us one of those flowers last year and ours didn't grow. I wonder if our house was too cold? Hey I tried calling you back yesterday. Call me. Good job on the flower.

Megan said...

How cold is your house?

Jenilyn said...

Oh my goodness the same thing happened to ours! I kept asking gram why hers was growing so well and we finally concluded that my house was too cold. I moved it from our kitchen to my bedroom, and it shot right up! It was surprisingly fun to watch it grow, it was a good present idea.