Gracie 2 1/2 years old, Fall 2003

I have a notebook at work where I used to write down the silly things Gracie would say.

You were sitting on the potty just grunting. I told your dad that it was his turn to wipe you. You were not ready. you told your dad that "it" was stuck, and that you must have swallowed a toy. Then you chuckled your little chuckle and said, "I'm just kiddin' ya."

We were saying prayers and you would repeat the things I would say. I asked you to please bless the prophet. You had just learned his name. Then you proceded, "Please bless the prophet, Gordan B Hinkley, Hink-a-lee-Bink-a-lee-Bop!"

That next sunday, I bore my testimony and I shared this experience. You were sitting in the back row with your dad and you giggled & said "That was hilarious hugh?"

You are simply consumed by marriage.  You probably talk about it once a day.  You said "When I'm 19th I'm get married in the temple to my wife."
Since then you have claimed you will marry several.  Your dad told you that you could get married when your turn 26.  You said "No, 27." But, you did tell me you would help Jake clean his ears when you're 46.  (I bet he won't let you)

The other day you had to wear a "bail" for your wedding.  You put on my vail & my long slip.  You were a beautiful bride.  You posed for pictures and married your dad.  He went downstairs to do some bills and you asked him,  "Don't you want to dance with your love-a-ly wife?"

We sing songs when I do your hair.  One of your favorites is I Love to See the Temple.  I wanted to sing I am a Child of God.  So we were singing along and you stopped us and said, "That's a funny song, I'm just your daughter."

03/06/2004 a little over 3
Today we were talking about what we used water for.  Together we listed: baths, drinks, brushing our teeth... Then you piped in, "Mom, for baptisms."

The other day Jake was sitting in his saucer.  you put your hands on his head and said "I'm gonna' give him a blessing."

You say if instead of with.  You are always saying "That would be a great idea!" The terms "on accident" and "on purpose" perplex your little mind.
I was braiding your hair and the phone rang.  I made you get off the stool and walk into the kitchen.  While I was still braiding.  You said "Wow, we look like we have 3 legs."  Then you were being naughty and not holding still so I pulled n your braid.  You asked me if I did it on ask-a-dent.  I said no and that I had done it on purpose. You replied, "Hugh, I'm going to tell dad on purpose and you will be in time out!"

2/11/2005 -- 4 1/2 yrs old
This last Wednesday I finally felt good enough to take you and Jake out and get some errands run.  We were at Mervyn's and we passed the swimming suits.  You started belting out "She wore an itsy-bitsy tiny-weeny yellow dot-polka-kini.  It was so funny.  This man standing at the jewelry counter was trying not to laugh.  I thought he was going to burst.

Since we are having a new baby (Gretchen) you have said some funny things.  you prayed to Heavenly Father that in August you would remember to tell me and dad to go to the hospital and get that baby out.

I caught you with a measuring tape.  You were holding it up to yourself and said "Just as I sup-spected, extremely stubborn and suspicious."  Then you held it up again and said, "Perfectly perfect in every way, Mary Poppin's!"
Mary Poppin's is your favorite show.  You also love Barbie Swan Lake.

Just after Christmas, we were saying prayers and you prayed that Heavenly Father would have a Happy Valentine's Day when it "came around"

2/2005
Last night you asked me to come downstairs and read you a story.  I told you I would be right down.  you pointed your fingers to your eyes and then back to me and said "I got my eye on you."

4/18/2005
We found out that we are having a baby girl.  You are so excited.  It has taken awhile but daddy and I decided to name her Gretchen.  When we told you, you said that Gretchen was a boys name.  The other day I walked passed the bathroom and I heard you talking to yourself as you sat on the potty. "Hi, my name is Gretchen, I have a boy name."

Last Thursday was my day off and every time I stood up I would throw-up.  So I was laying on my bed and you and I were visiting.  You asked if you could touch the baby  I said "Yes, but it is not the baby, she has a name.  What is her name?"  you thought for a bit and then asked "Quinn, Christian, Ginger?" I said "No Gracie.  Her name is Gretchen.  You said "Whatever, it doesn't matter it is a boy name."  You laid by me for a while and then asked "Mom, do you think I could lay on you gently and we could talk about some other names for our baby?"
Later that same day, I was in the tub.  You came in, put one foot up on the stool and your hand on your hip.  "Mom, we gotta talk about something serious.  You gotta forget about this Gretchen thing.  We gotta find a new name for our baby."  We talked about a few and your said that Eva was your favorite.  So we agreed to name her Gretchen Eva Ballard.  Eva is her great-great grandmother.  You were so excited that you ran out the bathroom door and yelled back "abious" (instead of adios)  then you giggled and said "Haha, I'm speaking spanish."

4/20/2006
Jake was looking out the bathroom window when Dad pulled into the driveway, Jake yelled "Here comes my hunter dad!"

Gracie came upstairs around 10:30 (It had been happening a lot) I was pretty mad and she said something about her lip really hurting.  Just before I yelled, I mad a mad face and she piped up and said "So, if you find some medicine that would work could you just let me know?"

4 comments:

emilee said...

I LOVE it, that is so cute! Good for you for keeping track. (this is something that I meant to do but never followed through).

The White's said...

That makes me want to give Gracie a big hug, she is so cute. That was fun to read and will be very cool to have in our family history.

emily ballard said...

Those were really funny. Gracie has always had an amazing vocabulary. Can you believe the difference between her and Adam? He can barely talk!

And I absolutely love those stories about Gretchen's name.

Chelsie said...

oh those are hilarious!! and I love the presents jake got for his birthday, especially grandma sharons! so clever