Grandpa Great

This is my favorite picture of Grandpa. He was one of the few that could make Gretchen giggle.
When I was little I remember going to grandpas & would always make sure you had a good time. He made sure that you were obedient and knew the value of hard work, but you always had a good time. I loved going up to North Fork to see him. He would meet us in the little white house. I remember being introduced to his friends & I knew he was proud of me. I loved it when I got to take my friend ice skating. He would tell them to put their hand up on the counter & would always get their skate size right. When other kids were not around we could get out the orange cones & skate around the ice. I remember that he always had change in his pocket for a soda. You could get a red cream soda or an orange soda and sit by that great big heater. I remember going behind the counter at the ice rink & being so proud that he was my grandpa. I remember that he would stick up for me when my dad got after me. I was a pretty lucky girl, because more often than not & found myself on rides with my grandpa & dad (maybe they couldn't shake me) I remember going to Tremonton with grandpa to a funeral & then out to lunch. Grandpa told me a lot of stories on that drive. He showed me all the places he used to hang out when he was a boy. I remember riding to pick up an aunt & stopping at a cafe & him & dad let me get an enormous m&m shake. I remember always getting ice cream. I remember him always needing a drink of cold water. He always wanted a kiss, except when he had a cold. I remember feeling bad when he had a cold & how he would tell you to stay out of his face. Like Lindsey I remember most of the ways he lost his finger, but I don't remember him ever telling the truth. I know what it means to be in Denton Hall's family. I was proud to be a Hall. Grandpa expected hard work & he expected family loyalty. He would point to his cheek when my close friends would come to visit & when they would lean in to kiss him he would flip his head around & kiss them on the lips. I loved that my friends didn't mind. I remember once I was in the 9th grade, my mom was taking a few of my friends and I to the Weber county Fair (Grandpa worked for the county) and there was this man riding in the bucket of a front end loader. I told my friends that it was my grandpa and we all giggled. Then when we got closer, it really was:) I loved to watch him crack himself up. I loved to watch him with my kids, especially with my Gretsie. She would climb up on his lap & kiss and hug him all the while still scowling. He wouldn't tease her, he would just wait until she warmed up. Grandpa came to everything you invited him to. Grandpa was real & grandpa let you get dirty. I will always treasure my memories of him & the things he taught me. Thank you for being willing to share your testimony with us grandpa. We will all miss you. Love you.

10 comments:

Vurlia said...

Thanks sis I had a good cry this morning. You said this so wonderful. I love you and I know Gram and Grandpa loves you and your sweet family. How nice it would be for all of the family to just visit and share all these moments you wrote some really important ones and it is a comfort to me. It was so neat that you brought Gram the flowers yesterday so special and good timing. Love, Aunt Vurlia

Kristin said...

So sorry for your loss. I too remember going ice skating and putting my hand on the counter and having him get me skates. He was a sweet man! Your family will be in our prayers!

amity said...

i am so sorry for your loss. he sounds like a wonderful grandfather who made some amazing memories for you. please call me if you need anything. love you.

Brittany said...

I am so SORRY!! I hope that all goes well and if you need anything call me. Cody loved your Grandpa and will be sad we can't make it to the funeral. You are in our prayers. Love you guys!

Trisha said...

We have been thinking of you guys. Grandpa's are the best and the memories they bring are priceless!!

Misty said...

What an awesome tribute to your Grandpa. I only met him a few times but I was impressed by who he was! So sorry for your lose.

emily ballard said...

I enjoyed reading those memories of your Grandpa. I'm glad you have those recorded. Let me know what I can do to help.

Anonymous said...

I remember so many things about your Grandpa Hall.. he use to tease me up at the posse grounds and over at your parents house. My dad loves that man! He was so proud, I am sure, to have such a wonderful grandchild and great grandkids!!

Bart and Jill Schenck Family said...

Angie,
Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I did not know. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Jake and Alayna said...

He was such a great guy. We are going to miss him so much. What a great legacy he has left. Such neat memories you have of him.