80 Years Old
My mom said they were having my grandpa's 80th birthday. I could not believe it. I even debated with her for a minuet. Then it occurred to me that just because I didn't think it was possible didn't mean I was right. On Saturday, my aunts & uncles threw him a party.
They had decorated with a cowboy theme. We had pie & visited with a lot of people who came to pay tribute to him. We were asked to write him a little note. I had so much fun writing down my memories that my pen would get a little ahead of me & make some extra marks. I had to re-write it 3 times. This marriage is a second for both, my grandpa & grandma. I forget that a lot, and maybe even resent when that is pointed out because he is the only grandpa I have ever know as far as that side goes. He is an excellent man & has always made us feel like his own. I just have to share my most prominent of memories. Grandpa took me to Grouse Creek (where he grew up) and on the ride he shared a story of a fellow that he knew. The man was talking about how high the crop had grown and somehow gotten of on a tangent. A bit later, and in the middle of another conversation he tapped his forearm with his two fingers and made no other response than that. He had tapped on his arm to show how high the crop had grown. For some reason this has always stuck in my head. Anyway, the reason I think of it so often is because Mike does about this same thing. In the middle of an entirely different conversation he will go back and make a remark from the previous topic. I always giggle & tap my forearm, He knows what it means. I alway think of Grandpa Virg when this happens. Grandpa is a dashing fellow and always looks so nice. He picks out the material for the blankets that Grams makes & he does a "marvelous" job. He always treated me like a grown-up & was good to show me some of the finer things in life. I remember eating at a casino in Wendover & picking just what I wanted. He bought me some fancy earrings & even painted my fingernails once. He brought flowers to the hospital when Gracie was born & has been so good to come to all of our special events, even when Grandma couldn't (Mike wouldn't go to things like wedding & blessings if I wasn't there to make him). Grandpa has an antelope mount in his garage & it really tickles Jake's fancy. When ever he talks about Grandpa, he calls him "Grandpa Amelope". Jake loves looking through his hunting photo books & hearing the stories. He is one of the easiest people for Gretchen to warm up to. He is fantastic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You should send this blog post to grandpa for his book. Good job, he is awesome hu.
What a cute post and a wonderful tribute to your Grandpa! I am going to have to start doing hte arm tap thing too - I am the tangent queen ;)
Post a Comment