Mommy, Iss won't come off!


I teach Relief Society and I happen accross this talk from the April general conferance. The talk, Daughter's of God, was given by Elder M. Russell Ballard. He gives counsel to all mothers, asking them to recognize the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There are hard times and frusterating times. Amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
He quotes from Anna Quindlen, the author of Loud & Clear. "The biggest mistake I made as a parent is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of my three children sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day. I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the "doing" a little more and the "getting" it done a little less."
I think that is what blogging has done for me. When I was first introduced to blogging, I remember thinking "well good for you, you picture perfect mother." Now that I have my own special place to share my thoughts and shining moments of joy, I rejoice for each blogging success. I am not a perfect mother, but I want to have a memory of my "shining moments of joy and satisfaction"
This is what makes peanut butter all over, a picture perfect memory.

5 comments:

Jen said...

oh Angie I LOVE that talk! I remember when he gave it during conference I sat and cried through the entire thing. It's so true. We need to enjoy the moment more than the doing all of the time. Great great talk. I love the peanut butter pictures! I love the title too. So dang cute.

As far as Hallie's funny face video, whenever I log off and then log back in it won't work, so i'm not sure what the deal is, so I just took it off until I can figure out how to make it work.

Cute post Angie!

Chelsie said...

I love that talk...I need to put that up somewhere in my house...cause it's so easy to get caught up in what's next instead of loving right now....I love the PB pictures!! So funny!! I do need a Sonora Grill t shirt!! Brandon's friend Steven Kippen gave us those shirts...but we need to support it's offspring also!

Anonymous said...

Angela those pictures just reinforced your message. How sweet. I especially loved the peanut butter finger paint masterpiece on the counter. This was a meaningful and good advice blog. Thanks

Megan said...

I remember after conference everyone's blogs said their fave talk was that one...but it is so true...all of it. Those pictures are so cute and I love her lil' sayings that go along with it. Mmmmm peanut butter is a fave along with ice cream - your kids know what is up.

I tried googling 'ice cream addicts' and nothing came up :) If they ever start one I am joining. I have had this problem all my life. I remember when I was about 5 my dad would make us our bowls of ice cream and we each got 3 small scoops. I would always complain it was never enough and he told me I couldn't have any more unless I wanted to be called 'Polly Plump'! :( Oh Larry!

Anonymous said...

I just have to tell you that I love this post :)