Denver Girl's Trip

We left Monday morning at 8:00 am. I was so proud. The house was clean, the laundry caught-up, the kids fed, we were all packed, hair done and the dishwasher started. We drove through Wyoming and down into Denver. The drive was 8 hours but the trip took us about 9.5. We had to stop 3 times and then we drove through down-town Denver during traffic. It was a little stressful. The girls were actually pretty good but it is tricky to ride for that long when you are so excited. We took Gloria's car and it saved us a ton in gas money plus it was a comfortable smooth ride.

After the girls had played with everything in their travel boxes they were getting a little restless. I looked back and this is what I saw. Gracie had hung her doll to the back of the seat with her headband. Gretchen's doll was sitting comfortably on the arm rest.












When we finally did make it to the hotel, I let Gloria out (the girls snuck out) to go check us in. While I was waiting, this little bunny jumped all through the parking lot. There were squirrels all around, but this was the only bunny. Interesting how I can get a good shot of a rabbit but the one's of my son's program I couldn't catch a smile.
 Right after checking in to the hotel, we dropped our bags and headed to the American Girl Doll store. I would have loved to capture the girls faces when they came in the door.  I told the lady that greeted us that we were here from Utah. She asked the girls their names and remembered them the entire time we were there. She took us back to the "salon" and the girls picked out the hair style that they wanted for their dolls and then we left them to get their ears pierced and hair done. We shopped for sometime. It was fun to have Gloria entertain Gracie while I had some one on one time with Luly. My only regret was that I made Luly look around the entire store before she could pick. She wanted the pet bath set but while we were looking another lady took the last one. I do have to say that right when we walked away from the salon Gretchen saw a pair of silver heels and insisted that she would need them. She got them. Luly ended up with Coconut, the white puppy, a carrying case, silver heels, the party dress outfit and shoes, earrings and a darling guitar with a case and strap to share with Gracie. Gracie got earrings and the tennis outfit as well as the most adorable camping gear and outfit. I just loved all the details. Even the decision making was fun. The girls were darling and very grateful.
I shared my love of dolls with my granny so it was fun to do this trip with one of their grannies. Gloria loved it just as much as the girls. Gloria and Gracie were hysterical making decisions. There were no "cons" all "pros" to the decisions so it was fun to see what they decided on.





After the store we went to an "American Girl Doll" friendly Cheese Cake Factory. They had the doll booster seats. The girls loved sitting next to their dolls. We had a yummy dinner and tried to keep the girls from opening ALL of the doll stuff right then. Gretchen almost hyperventilated waiting for the check. She wanted to play so bad. We took our cheesecake back to the hotel.


 We took these pictures in the hotel lobby when we were on our way into the big city. I think it was a good thing we did because after shopping and walking all I didn't feel as cute for the play.


We had the brick oven pizza at the Mellow Mushroom. It was really good but we really over ordered. It was ridiculous how many times the girls wanted to change seats. We were on the patio so the shade was just a titch to cold and the sun was excruciatingly hot. We went back and forth about 3 times. Then Grandma & I put a stop to that. Gretchen couldn't stay in her seat because she needed to get to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.






 





We shopped around a little and then we rode the free mall bus from one end to the other. Gracie really enjoyed having a large section to herself and took advantage of all the poles and straps.
 







This guy showed Gracie (and maybe his girlfriend) how it was really done. The girls thought that was so funny. Even Gretchen was impressed.















 Wicked was amazing. The girls each got a Wicked beach towel. I loved being there with my girls. Gracie's little mind is a trap. She was reciting lines the next morning while I did her hair. It might have been a little complex for Luly but I think she enjoyed the excitement and the costumes. She did say Galinda was the prettiest, several times. Both girls commented on how the "green" girl had a great voice and she should have been the star of the show....


The next day we went to REI and got Jake's some Vibram toes shoes for a souvenir. He was excited, but they didn't fit. We will have to work on getting him a pair that do. Jake was so sweet. Even when his shoes didn't fit he looked at everything the girls got, he played with it too and asked them several questions about their trip. He was genuinely excited for them and the fun they had. I thanked him for that and he said, well mom, dad and I had a pretty good time too.

Thank you Gloria for sharing this memory with us. I couldn't ask for a more wonderful and pleasant mother-in-law!!

4 comments:

Fox said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I would like to go to a store like that, I like small things.

Randy and Malissa Johnson said...

How fun!! Can I come next time? What great memories you've made with your girls.

Megan said...

What a fun trip! And Jake is so sweet! What a good brother.

Happy 13 years!

Karen said...

Now we want to know what Jake and Mike did while you were gone.