Ugly Clothes

Yesterday we were getting ready for the field trip and Gretchen was bawling. Gretchen said she was not going to her field trip if she has to keep wearing ugly clothes. 2 things.
1) Wouldn't have minded staying home.
2) SHE picked out the clothes.

Today the bawling hysterics started back up. She wanted to wear her 4th of July dress, she cried because it would be too cold, what would she wear to keep her legs warm?? I suggested tights, I even got her a white shirt to wear under it. She asked me what she could put on to make it look "more cute" I suggested red shoes, boots. She cried. She wanted something "more cute" She suggested striped tights with something entirely different that would go with stripped tights. She bawled all the way down the stairs and then back up with brown tights. Then I had had it. I asked Mike to take care of her. He cuddled her up onto his lap and I heard her ask to wear something and Mike whisper back. I had to get to the bottom of that. I came into the computer room and asked Gretchen what Daddy had said. She, amidst gasping for air between cries, replied "Daddy said, you said I couldn't wear my "Mary" clothes." Really? really? Mary clothes? I was at my wit's end. I said she could wear the Mary clothes, I was sick of the crying! So later I called Trisha and asked her what Gretchen ended up wearing. Trisha was kind enough to email me these priceless shots.

6 comments:

mle said...

You will have to keep your job just so that girl has cute clothes, never mind the insurance. I admire you for picking your battles it is one of the hardest things as a mother. Love you

Natalie Ropelato said...

So funny. lol. One day when she's a lot older she'll say, "Mom I can't believe you let me go to school in Mary clothes" lol I love it. And I don't know why in the world Gretchen would think that she'd be sick of wearing ugly clothes. She's one of the best dressed girls on the block :) She is the cutest :)

The White's said...

Mary has never looked better! Your a great mom of Mary. haha

Shauna said...

This put a smile on my face because Jace insisted on wearing this ugly buzz light year shirt today (I do not do characters clothing, but you can thank my mother-in-law for buying it) but no matter how I negotiated he wouldn't change his mind. Then for his birthday shoes they HAD to have lights. I guess we should just smile and enjoy it while it lasts.

Palmers said...

That is the funniest thing ever. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that fights on what my child wears. I never knew a 3 year old (Mason) would care so much on how he looks. I love little Mary, that is great. Thanks for the laugh:)

Megan said...

Haha. Gotta love all the drama with girls. Anna is the same - she can bawl in a flash and I want to pull my hair out. So where does she get her inner fashionista problems from? Does she watch you struggle to pick out clothes as you get ready for work? lol. Kidding.