Minnetonka Cave

Some people go to Minnetonka Cave when they are up at Bear Lake. We went to Bear Lake because we were at Minnetonka Cave for craft day.
This is another one of our big craft day field trips. It was fantastic. Gracie got car sick on the way up Sardine Canyon, but didn't up Logan Canyon. We stopped and got a chocolate & a candy stick from the Blue Bird & I choose to believe that helped. 
Emily's friend joined us with her daughter Elli & nephew Kaden (Jake loved having a big boy to wrestle & hang out with) When we got to the cave we found out there was a 1 1/2 hour wait. A charming young tour guide was kind enough to let us in his next tour so we only had to wait for an hour.
While we waited we enjoyed eating our lunch, chasing squirrels & waiting in the worlds longest line for the bathroom more than once. The cave was amazing & the kids didn't even complain about the 444 stairs, one way. It was around 40* all the way through. Emily brought baby legs for the kids to wear under their shorts.
   
This little rodent is the only creepy thing we ran into.  Rachel & I were hoping to see bats, but I guess they leave until winter.
When we came out of the cave Emily's cousins from Alaska were sitting right in front of her car. What a coincidence. They invited us over to the lake to have dinner & go boating. We did stop to get shakes while we waited for them to tour the cave. You can't actually go to Bear Lake without getting a Raspberry Shake:) 
Emily's family were great hosts & made us all feel right at home. 
  
Her uncle took the kids sailing & Emily & her cousin Maggie took them for several rides in the canoe.
   
We played on the beach for hours. 
   
Emily even learned how to water ski.
 
This is a picture of the kids playing "contest" It is a game Mike & the kids made up. You throw a Frisbee to someone & they get a point for catching it, then if they throw it back to you and you catch it, you get a point. It was a way for Mike to encourage them to not only learn to catch but also to throw. Jake loves to play & just had to teach his cousins. 
At 9:30 pm we went to eat at the new Cafe Sabor in Bear Lake & then headed home. I can not believe how much fun we had in one day. The kids were asleep before we hit the canyon. I told them the first one asleep got a dollar & Jake & Lucy ended up in a tie. Rachel was too concerned about me looking back to make sure they were asleep to even fall asleep. When she did fall asleep she had her little hands in her mouth. It was such a wonderful day. Everyone should have a sister-in-law like Emily. I shutter to think of the opportunities my kids & I would miss out on if she wasn't around. Thanks Emily for such a fun day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love all your pics.. what a great day you all had! And I love your Glitter toes. next time Trish comes up, I am tagging along. ok!! And again. we need another night!! Ask Emily if she can be my sister in law too?? My other sister in laws are... well, nevermind. ;)

emily ballard said...

Awww, thanks Angie. You definitely win an award for most accommodating travel partner for the day. I felt slightly bad, but super excited about how long our trip lasted. And you get the award for best photographer too. . . you took some great pictures!

I can't wait to return to Rendevous Beach with the Ballard Family sometime next summer. . .

The White's said...

That sounded like so much fun, i think you and Em always do fun things. Im glad that you had your stuff to go to the lake, did you plan on going to the lake anyways? Wow and there is a new Cafe Sabor in bear lake? I thought that you were at the one in Logan, that is cool. By the way, i LOVE the hair!!